Place and Date of Birth:
H.H was born in Doha in 1952.
Received his Primary, Preparatory and Secondary education at Qatari schools.
Joined the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, and graduated in July 1971.
- Joined the Qatari Armed Forces in the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and was appointed Commander of the first Mobile Regiment, now named: Hamad Mobile regiment. He was then promoted to the rank of Major General and was appointed Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces.
- Modernizing existing units, equipping them with the most up-to-date weaponry, increasing their personnel and providing the best training on the most advanced military techniques.
On May 31st 1977, Appointed Heir Apparent and Minister of Defense.
- Appointed Chairman of the Higher Council for Planning, which is considered as the cornerstone in the building of a modern state.
- Chaired the Higher Council for Youth Welfare (HCYW) since it was set up in 1979 until September 1991, and pledged a lot of patronage to sports and youths activities through the HCYW, clubs and various sports establishments.
- H.H. the Emir is the sponsor of civilian sports in Qatar. He also established the first Military Sporting Association, which got the membership of the International Military Sporting Association. H.H. the Emir gave much support and attention to youth and sports sector out of his belief in the significance of the role played by this vital sector in the process of building and developing the society.
- On 27/6/1995, acceded to power.
- Has sponsored many conferences on a variety of topics, taken part in numerous Gulf and Arab conferences and paid visits to many countries around the world.